Tuesday, July 31, 2012



Today is the second day of my one week paid vacation.  It's not enough time to go anywhere, not that I really have the desire to go anywhere anyways -  I am a stay close-to-home body!  Some people really enjoy traveling but I'm not one of them and I am content looking at pictures of far away places.  The older I get the less I want to be bothered with things like traffic, airports, luggage and tourists!  I can always find something to do around here and am rarely bored.  I'm going to use this time off to do some things I can never find time for when I'm working.  I do think it's wonderful for people who enjoy it  to travel the world and experience different places, and I wish them safe travels!

I've been thinking about quiche the last couple days but didn't really feel like making pie crust and didn't want to go out to the grocery store so I decided to make a mock quiche with the ingredients I had on hand.  It's a cross between a quiche and a frittata.  There were a few vegetables left from the weekend that I wanted to use up and they worked out fine for what I wanted.  I had an ear of corn, some zuchini, green onions, red peppers and some cheddar cheese.


You can use any combination of vegetables that you like, your favorite cheese, and you can also add bacon, ham or chicken if you want meat in it.


If using zuchini like I did, grate and lightly sprinkle with salt and allow it to drain in a sieve for about half an hour to remove excess water.


                                I may have let it brown a little too much, but it was still very good.


*Quick and Easy Mock Quiche*

3 cups  chopped vegetables of your choice - I used corn, zuchinni, green onions and red bell pepper
1 cup cheese, shredded - I used organic old cheddar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Bisquick baking mix
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
a couple dashes of tobasco (hot pepper sauce)

1/2 cup chopped ham, cooked bacon or chicken, if using 

Preheat oven to 400F.  Coat a 9" pie dish with cooking spray or lightly grease with butter.

Spread vegetables in bottom of prepared pie dish.  (If using meat, sprinkle over vegetables.)  Sprinkle grated cheese over vegetables.  In med bowl whisk remaining ingredients and pour over vegetables and cheese.  Bake for 40-45 minutes on center rack. 

Quiche is done when a knife inserted comes out clean.  Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.




                                       I served mine with pan-fried white and sweet potatoes!




1 comment:

  1. Other than the Bisquick this was probably a pretty healthy meal! I love the idea of fried regular and sweet potatoes. I've never tried that. Must do. Have you ever tried frittata??? It's an egg based dish, very similar to a quiche but with no crust at all. We love them! xxoo

    ReplyDelete